Thursday 9 May 2013

A funny week... in a very 'literal' sense

Ian MacMillan welcomes everyone at the door
I don't get out much, but I've had four nights of laughter on the run!

First up was Eddie Izzard: Force Majeure at the Echo Arena. I've followed him since the 90's and he's one of my fave comedians. I love his surreal logic and improvisations. Genius!

Monday was my first time at Liver Bards - a rumbustious cornucopia of performance poetry. The co-hosts are a comedy double-act (but shhh ... don't tell them)- Steve rambles and disorganises while Dave attempts to keep accountant-style order. But you can't herd poets.
Next, as part of Liverpool City Council's poorly-advertised In Other Words literary festival, was an evening with Barnsley bard Ian MacMillan. With his BBC Radio 3 show and poetry aficionado credentials I thought he'd be more serious...and taller. But his gigs are inclusive (he met everyone at the door!), hilarious, fast-paced, anarchic and did I mention inclusive? This meant a lot of audience participation - singing and co-creating a unique epic poem to music. He's coming to Hoylake next year - you have been warned!

Last night was Flash in the Dark - the finals of a short horror competition run by Writing on the Wall . It wasn't supposed to be funny and much of it wasn't (my zombie mood piece 'Homecoming' had been shortlisted) - some truly gruesome offerings and well-deserved winners. But the guests, Les Malheureux, were even better than I expected - quirky short fiction performed by two of my flash heroes: David Gaffney and Sarah-Clare Conlon to a musical and visual landscape. Witty and unsettling.
*Note to self - MUST get them to Wirral!

What tickles your funny bone? Who are your favourite comedians?

14 comments:

  1. Victoria Wood makes me laugh the most. I've watched a clip of her stand-up on Youtube so many times .... Sounds like you've had a great week. All grist to the writing mill ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, you're right! A couple of my all-time favourite comedy sketches are by her: especially that WI jumble sale/Casualty spoof one. And 'Let's do it!' - genius. Having seen clips of you, though, matey, you're very much of the same ilk. That could be you up there.

      Delete
  2. I like Joan Rivers and Ruby Wax, but I'm quite partial to the cheeky Liverpudlian wags too (better not mention Tarby).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm liking the way the women are coming out on top in the reader poll! (Matron!)

      Delete
  3. sounds like an excellent time ...you got steve and dave down to a tee...a lovable laurel and laurel duo,,im also a huge fan of ian(make cheques out to mr mcmillan)mcmillan ...my favorite comedian is probably stewart lee ,,,but its like saying whats your favortie food ...which is stew (art lee)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So which 'Anonymous' are you? You all look the same! I don't really know him - and is that one them Yorkshire jokes? I will check him out

      Delete
  4. Eddie Izzard and Ian MacMillan, two 'class' acts. Lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I am. How are you feeling now, M? I think I'm coming down with something myself.

      Delete
  5. I'm with Fran. Victoria Wood is brilliant, and an amazing musician, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like people who can be funny without being offensive. And her tuff is beautifully observed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun!

    I am a big fan of Stefanie Wilder Taylor. She now writes (hilarious) books instead of doing stand up, but she is so awesome.

    I am also a big fan of Chelsea Handler, her show and her books are so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Stephanie
    I think I've seen Stefanie on YouTube, but will have to look up Chelsea... it's easy to forget how many great comedians are huge in their own countries but other countries haven't heard of... although Eddie Izzard is doing a world tour with Force Majeure to prove that humour is universal! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There’s a lot going on ‘oop North’ from here. The Wirral isn’t even very far away.

    I’d love a good laugh, there aren’t many around here, they’ve all been drowned in the mud.

    ReplyDelete