Saturday 29 September 2012

Out there

If I'm not here, I must be somewhere else.

There's a little something of mine at Flashpoints, for example.  This gorgeous site offers tiny pieces of site-specific flash fiction. A story written in and about a specific location  is left there. I wrote my story in the library and left it on the Mills and Boon stand (left). A week later it was still there. If anyone noticed they didn't say.

I read a blog recently where the writer ( sorry, but I can't remember who it was or find it now - if it was you, fess up and I'll put a link in!) ) had over 100 submissions awaiting response.

She inspired me to send more stories and poems out - I'm up to 54 so watch this space for yee-hahs or ya-boo-suckses.

I'm also on (at? in?) the Lancashire Writing Hub being interviewed about Poetry24, the daily ezine I co-edit with Martin

8 comments:

  1. A hundred submission! Holy jeebus! I suppose it's one way to get over the whole rejection phobia, if you've got so many floating around out there one rejection won't seem as enormous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling it was even more than that - wish I could remember who it was! I try to always have a bunch of 'em out there for that very reason and am pretty philosophical about a 1:10 success rate.

      Delete
  2. Flippin' hek. That's a lot of pending submissions. She should do what I do - just don't submit anything ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how 'submission' has more connotations than we first thought of...

      Delete
  3. Crikey - you've been busy. Presumably you're using your librarian skills to keep track of where it all is and whether things have been returned, not returned, stolen etc ... I liked your article on the Lancashire Hub site. Good shout-out for Poetry 24.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have designed a spreadsheet. Actually I should do some screen grabs and do a post about it. Or market it as an app. I've written 900 poems and 170 stories (some very tine ones!) so there's no way I could keep up with them otherwise.

      Delete
    2. You know, an app that kept track of what you'd written, where you'd put it (red notebook in desk drawer, folder 38 on the old laptop), what you thought it might be good for (kindling, bad poetry competition, etc), where you'd submitted it and so on; I think that could work.

      You could also include in-app add-ons, such as template cover letters and suggestions for submission alternatives (rejected by ABC? Try DEF instead!). The free, lite version would have advertising by vanity publishers and Amazon, and would criticise your grammar.

      Delete
  4. All that industry deserves some reward. Here's hoping.

    ReplyDelete